Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Got Inspiration?

At some point, every artist is asked about inspiration. It’s a window into the world of the creative process and a chance to see the first step an artist takes. But inspiration is an illusive concept, and there is no magic formula that goes a + b = art. We are all surrounded by inspiration everywhere, but it’s the artist that takes that initial motivation and expands it into an interpretation.

I find the key for me is to be aware of the stimulus going on around me at all times. An architectural detail might catch my eye, or standing in line behind someone wearing a dress with a great color scheme. Perhaps it’s the feel of the wind, the touch of running water or listening to a movement of music. It’s more about learning to take a thought and trying to let it find a place in my art. It’s about keeping my brain out of the way and allowing the idea to find a way to speak to me. We may speak a different language for awhile, but eventually we understand each other, and then the fun begins. It’s a wonderful state of mind when one is so absorbed at something that time travels a different path.

Then again more often than not, it’s the motivation I need, not the inspiration. But that’s a whole other story.

No comments:

Post a Comment